Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Bianca Gibson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 15:12:43 +1100

On Nov 11, 2012 2:49 PM, "Harry Prevor" <habstinat@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't say that people like Steam because of it's "mild" DRM.
....I really believe people like Steam because of the sheer
> number of games it holds and the frequency at which they come out;
> something that will be tough to beat with a free software equivalent.

I think that moderate drm in many games plays a role, but is not the only reason. Other aspects of the platform make people see the drm as less bad, as you said.
I'm repeating gamer friends arguments about why they like steam, to provide their perspective (hardcore gamers running windows) as well as a free software perspective in the discussion. This and windows 8 present an opportunity to introduce them to a free software OS, so it is important to understand them so we can use the opportunity.
I don't like it myself.

> Actually Steam games can do all of these.

I didn't realise that was common, not a steam user. Is it just done with the games from big publishers, or some of the indie ones as well? I thought they often just used the steam drm.