Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Amusing Free Software Story

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Amusing Free Software Story
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:30:42 -0500

Excellent. "Free software" works just fine.  Brand flipping is a loss.  It
gains no new adherents and confuses the people drifting at the edges who you
might have mobilized.  It would be foolish to dropping the term "free
software" because the bullies have mounted a propaganda campaign against it.
The term "freeware" is fading away with Windows.

The "Free World" was very well defined by cold war rhetoric.  The non free
world was governed by centralized autocracies that treated people like wear
parts.  People fought and died for the kinds of freedom defined in the US
Bill of Rights.  Non free software is giving us a world nastier than East
Germany.  You don't want to lose resonance with that, regardless of how
disgracefully the free world countries may have behaved lately.  The
principles are something we should all stand on.  In English speaking
countries, this still carries weight.

Libre is a fine term.  It calls to mind all sorts of good things.