Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Amusing Free Software Story

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Amusing Free Software Story
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 16:09:25 -0700

Well, there's one thing that's factually clear already: "Free" and "Open" both
had lots of uses *before* anyone tried to apply them strictly to ideals about
software and licensing etc. — "Libre" is fundamentally a more precise term that
has only ever been used in the manner we intend. In other words, whatever the
future brings, "Libre" is not starting out as damaged goods. "Free" and "Open"
were problematic and unclear from before this community even started using
them. There's no real debate about those facts.