Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New Group

From: felix_posselt
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New Group
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:29:42 +0200

On 2016-04-26 22:07, Daniel Pocock wrote:
On 26/04/16 21:59, felix_posselt@openmailbox.org wrote:
Interesting.
Of course it would make sense to merge our resources instead of
building two groups, however, i don't understand, why they were splitting
from the fsf by founding a eurpean version.
Thanks for the info.

I don't understand either, I've never asked actually, but FSFE members
have similar interests and do a lot to pursue them.  There are many
examples of people forking projects in the free software world (that is
one of the fundamental freedoms we want, isn't it?), so is it really
unusual that anybody would fork or compete with FSF too?

Regards,

Daniel
Now, in principle wouldn't be a problem for me, but here i see several.

1. Competing within the free software movement keeps the programmers from getting satisfied an uninnovative, but competing with the movement itself seems pointless, since it would slow everything down.
Working together would be helpful.
But they don't not really seem to work together with the fsf at all, the whole organization got mentioned on only one site on their whole homepage.
Fsf.org doesnt really mention them in return aswell.

2. They call their groups of activists "fellowships". Now i have absolutly no interest in being in a "fellowship", it sounds so odd.

3. I am associate myself too much with the fsf to change the organization.

What's also strange is that i never heard of them, altough i explicitly searched free software munich, but that might just be my search engine.

Of course, i will meet up with them, since they presumable follow the same philosophy, and i might consider working together with the local
"fellowship", but i am not too sure what to think about them.

Felix