Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New Group

From: cryptie
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New Group
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 14:41:11 +0200

To add concrete examples of what the FSFE does, look at the current campaigns : https://fsfe.org/campaigns/campaigns.en.html
and work page : https://fsfe.org/work.en.html

The principle of Fellowship is equivalent to a local team of FSFE (so you can get help for your local team like flyers or ...?). But in the EU you have local team of FSFE,  but also LUG or independant structure... No obligation.
I don't speak German but one of our main activist form Müchen usually speak about FSFE activities ont his blog https://www.softmetz.de/category/freies/

You may also meet some members of the FSFE in different conferences, for example :
- in Munich, some fellows have usually a booth at "Corso Leopold" https://www.softmetz.de/2014/06/14/freie-software-offene-standards-und-freie-inhalte-beim-ersten-corso-leopold-2014/
- in Germany, from the CCC where we had a village last year to the FSFE Summit in Berlin in september),
- or more generally in the EU (for example we have a booth at FOSDEM every year).

Have a nice day,
Cryptie

On 2016-04-26 22:27, John Sullivan wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> writes:
>
>> On 26/04/16 21:59, felix_posselt@openmailbox.org wrote:
>>> Interesting.
>>> Of course it would make sense to merge our resources instead of
>>> building two groups, however, i don't understand, why they were
>>> splitting
>>> from the fsf by founding a eurpean version.
>>> Thanks for the info.
>>>

>> I don't understand either, I've never asked actually, but FSFE members
>> have similar interests and do a lot to pursue them. There are many
>> examples of people forking projects in the free software world (that
>> is
>> one of the fundamental freedoms we want, isn't it?), so is it really
>> unusual that anybody would fork or compete with FSF too?
>
> Um, FSFE is not a fork of FSF. They were started in cooperation with
> us,
> to focus more on free software work in Europe consistent with FSF
> strategy and principles.
>
> -john

oops, that arrived me a second too late

Felix