Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about calling free systems a

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about calling free systems as "GNU" systems (even if there is no GNU or Linux-libre)?
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 05:29:18 -0500

Fabio Pesari wrote:
I think this happens too often, and saying GNU without anything else
reinforces the notion that the only thing the FSF cares about is getting
credited for something they didn't completely build.

Most operating systems include software the distributors didn't write themselves. Apple's MacOS is built on top of a BSD variant which Apple programmers did not write. MacOS development software from Apple included (perhaps still does) GCC, a compiler NeXT eventually contributed to[1] but did not write themselves. Variants of Microsoft Windows included games that Microsoft licensed for distribution but didn't write such as the Pinball game written by Cinematronics[2]. The Commodore 64 came with BASIC licensed from Microsoft[3]. Putting together an OS from programs one can legally distribute is commonplace. This doesn't take anything away from the efforts of the OS developers. We should give OS developers credit for their work by using the name they chose. We should also seek to give credit to the major components of the system, so we should call Linux a kernel and avoid calling Linux something it isn't and never was -- an operating system.

I think we should find a neutral name for all operating systems (with
any free kernel, from Linux to FreeDOS to *BSD) that are free as in
freedom.

The irony of these examples is that Linus Torvalds' fork of Linux (as opposed to the GNU Linux-libre fork) contains nonfree software. In fact that's the significant difference between Torvalds' Linux and GNU Linux-libre -- GNU Linux-libre omits the nonfree software thus creating a Linux kernel one can not only run in freedom but distribute and fully comply with the GNU GPL version 2's requirement for distributing complete corresponding source code. Good luck getting complete corresponding source code to those binary blobs that come with Torvalds' Linux kernel.

As I understand it, multiple BSD variants come with nonfree software in their systems as well. The pushover licenses they're distributed under don't require distributing free software.

(Yes, I'm half joking in case you didn't realize, but perhaps this
really is the best solution)

I don't think that's compatible with trying to get people to call things by their proper names.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematronics,_LLC
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_BASIC