Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about calling free systems a

From: Julien Kyou
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about calling free systems as "GNU" systems (even if there is no GNU or Linux-libre)?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 06:45:10 -0400

MOn May 10, 2016 1:39:30 PM AST, wrote:
>On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 06:15:03PM -0500, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
>
>> Alex Jordan wrote:
>> > You're completely missing the above point. What Julien is saying
>> > (correct me if I'm wrong) is that using "GNU" as a brand for
>> > freedom-respecting operating systems is valuable even if
>technically
>> > inaccurate.
>>
>> I can't correct your understanding of what Julien said because I
>don't speak
>> for Julien and I don't see that you sent a copy of your email to
>Julien so
>> Julien can provide the correction you seek.
>
>Crap! I meant to CC the list and completely forgot. Apologies. (That's
>also why I said "correct me if I'm wrong" - I was assuming Julien
>would see it!) CC'ing now.
>
>> > In
words, you think that this wouldn't work because the steps
>> > would be "put the 'GNU' moniker in the name of everything with the
>> > actual GNU code, then identify things with the 'GNU' moniker in the
>> > name as free." You're totally right, that wouldn't work, but that's
>> > not what's being suggested.
>>
>> That does not describe my views.
>>
>> > What's being suggested is that we ignore where the different
>components
>> > of the OS come from, and evaluate *only* if it's a free OS. Then if
>it
>> > is, we put the 'GNU' moniker into the name, even if the OS doesn't
>> > actually use GNU code.
>>
>> There are free software OSes without GNU I would not want to call GNU
>> because calling them GNU would not only be misleading but
>disrespectful of
>> OS developers who are doing what free software activists want done.
>Using
>> the word GNU as you describe is not only incorrect usage but could
>become
>> deceptive. We're better off identifying what things really are and
>teaching
>> people to value software freedom and ethical treatment for its own
>sake.

The word free is deceptive. English sucks.

As a teacher I do wish that education was the answer, but I also know some don't want and thus won't learn. However that's not to say we shouldn't try.

>> This work cannot be reduced to a branding exercise nor should
>>branding be given primacy.

No I didn't really consider that.

>Generally speaking I agree with you. I was just trying to explain the
>idea, since there seems to have been some misunderstanding.

Thank you for clearing them up.

P.S.
I'm still learning though It's unfortunate that GNU doesn't / can't ensure freedom.