Re: Lilypond can't find its fonts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond can't find its fonts
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:46:57 +0200

Benjamin Esham wrote:
OK, there's a file /sw/etc/profile.d/lilypond.csh, and I added a line to my .cshrc (I use tcsh, if it matters) sourcing this file. However, lilypond still gives me this:

Interpreting music... error: can't find `feta20.afm'
Music font has not been installed properly.  Aborting

The font file is (still) present where it should be.  Upon further
examination, TEXMF still doesn't contain a reference to /sw/share/
lilypond/2.3.10, as it should.  I tried putting a "source /sw/etc/
profile.d/lilypond.csh" line in both my .login and .cshrc (and even both
at the same time), but the directory was not added; after running that
command manually, the directory was added,

Sounds very strange, everything in your .login and .cshrc should be
executed just the same way as if you run the command from the command
line. Are you sure that these files are read at all. For example, if
your login shell is a sh or bash instead of tcsh, then .profile will be
read instead of .login. Similarly, if you have both a .tcshrc and a
.cshrc, then only .tchsrc is read. Another possibility I can think of
is that these files contain some conditional statements such that not
all the lines are executed. Again, I don't know anything specific about
the Fink setup, so I'm just basing my thoughts on general UNIX
experience.

> and now I have a *brand new*,
never-before-seen error :-)

Interpreting music... error: can't find `ecrm10.pfa'
Install the ec-mftraced package from http://lilypond.org/download/fonts/. Aborting

I made sure that my version of the ec-fonts-mftraced fink package is
up-to-date; I even rebuilt it, just to be sure.  The error persisted.  So
I ran a "find" command, and found ecrm10.pfa in /sw/etc/texmf.local/fonts/
type1/public/ec-fonts-mftraced/.

Try to run the command 'texhash' (with root priviliges) to update the
TeX filenamen database.

  I added "/sw/etc/texmf.local" to the
front of my $TEXMF, ran lilypond-- and got the same old error about
feta20.afm!
This should not be necessary, since the ec-fonts... are installed in the
standard TeX directory.

  Does anyone have any ideas on this increasingly bizarre
problem?

Since it works for others, you should not have to invent any path
settings yourself. Once you've managed to figure out why the
lilypond.csh file wasn't sourced from the beginning and have the
TeX filename database up to date (this should also work automatically
if the packages work correctly), it should work. Just make sure that
you don't leave any traces of your experiments in any files.

   /Mats