Re: Several problems with 2.5.27 version on Windows ME

From: Brynne and Russ Jorgensen
Subject: Re: Several problems with 2.5.27 version on Windows ME
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:56:34 -0600

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

When I run ooes.exe, it pops up a dos box to run the ooes.bat, but the
dos-box sticks around (title bar says 'Finished - ooes') rather than
disappearing.

Before fixing the global setting for amount of environment memory, the
dos-box said 'Out of environment space', but ooes.exe said
Environment space is fine'.  Looks like the exit code from ooes.bat
isn't making it back to ooes.exe.

Thanks for testing this.  We need more elaborate testing, ie the value
of a variable and explicit exit code.  Something like

    set ooes=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....
    [out of environment space]
    set foo=bar
    if not x%foo%=xbar got error
    exit 0
    :error
    exit 1

Could you test if that works?  It may be that the first set statement
causing the error is ignored, and a still gets the value foo.

Do you still want me to test if this works now that it sounds like you're going to abandon BAT wrappers?

globally setting the amount of environment memory under Win-ME is more
difficult under Win-ME than Win-95 and Win-98.  They've disabled a
bunch of the old DOS stuff - in particular, I've never found ANYTHING
that can go in config.sys.  Instead, I found instructions on the
internet as follows:

    add the following line to the SYSTEM.INI file (in c:\windows) under

    CommandEnvSize=4096

I used the msconfig tool to do this instead of editing by hand...

Do you have a Microsoft URL that we can present in the popup box?

You know, since it looks like Microsoft has maintained support for CommandEnvSize=xyz in SYSTEM.INI from way back when, you might be able to have your installation program just do it for the user rather than popping up a URL for the user to do it themselves. Again, maybe not useful if you're abandoning BAT wrappers, but just a thought.

        -Russ