Re: Several problems with 2.5.27 version on Windows ME

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Several problems with 2.5.27 version on Windows ME
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:59:50 +0200

Brynne and Russ Jorgensen writes:

> Under WinME, the echo output is
>
>       ECHO is on
>
> like env var a is not set.  But, if you just do
[..]
> Apparently the CommandEnvSize setting in SYSTEM.INI dates way back to
> Windows 3.0 and is still supported.  So, all the Microsoft URLs I
> could find would seem to most users to be out of date.

What a mess.  Ok, that's enough.  I will not be using BAT wrappers, as
they are too unreliable.  They are not portable between windows
flavours (even localisation seems to cause problems), may require user
intervention and rebooting, have arbitrary requirements for and ways
of treating quotation.

> double quotes and all without any associated value.  Probably not what
> you want!  And, it causes problems with gs.bat.in - see below.

Thanks.

> I probably misunderstood exactly what was supposed to be fixed in
> 2.5.28.  As before, I still don't have time to debug it! :)

This will be fixed in 2.5.29-2, again :-)

> Well, the symptoms are different, but the ps file is still not
> compatible with gsview.  Here's the error I got this time:
>
>  > GSview 4.7 2005-03-26
>  > Unknown in Comments section at line 7:
>  >   %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
>  >
>  > Unknown in Comments section at line 8:
>  >   %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font PFAEmmentaler-20

..

>  > AFPL Ghostscript 8.51 (2005-04-18)
>  > Copyright (C) 2005 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
>  > This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
>  > Displaying DSC file D:/Program
>    Files/LilyPond/usr/share/doc/lilypond-2.5.29-1/input/example-2.ps
>  > Displaying page 1
>  > %GSVIEW_PDF_MARK: /ANN /Subtype /Link /Action -dict- /Border Error:
>     /typecheck in --length--
>  > Operand stack:
>  >    --nostringval--   Rect   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   0.0
>         0.0   0.0   4.98132   0   0
>  > Execution stack:
>  >    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>    false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3 %oparray_pop   1
>  3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2 --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2 %stopped_push   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   1   --nostringval--   %repeat_continue   --nostringval--
>  > Dictionary stack:
>  >    --dict:1129/1686(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:125/200(L)--
>  > Current allocation mode is local
>  > Last OS error: No such file or directory
>  >
>  > --- Begin offending input ---
>  > -box
>  > } stop-system
>  > showpage
>  >
>  > --- End offending input ---
>  > file offset = 0
>  > gsapi_run_string_continue returns -10

Hmm, Han-Wen?

> and got the following output:
>
>      GPL Ghostscript 8.15: Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps.

Yes, that's expected, because of the quoting problems with GS_LIB.

> I don't know how you do it, but it looks like you're creating gs.exe
> from the gs.bat.in file,

No?  You do not have a gs.exe file?  That would be a bug in the installer.

> lilypond.exe going all the way from a .ly file to a .pdf file, so I'll
> wait for the next dot release...

Yes, stay tuned.

> One last weird bug I discovered.  If you run lilypond.exe on the
> init.ly file (I just happened to choose it for a test, not realizing
> that it looks like something lilypond always reads during startup), it
> looks like you get an infinite loop.

Then, don't do that ;-)

In some distant future, with lots of time on our hands, we may want to
use a different ly flavour for the initialisation files than we use
for ordinary ly files.

Jan.