Re: penalty -> permission patch

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: penalty -> permission patch
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 11:45:03 +1000

On Sat, 6 May 2006 22:07, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Joe Neeman wrote:
> > I don't think I've explained it very well, but suppose you want to do
> > \break \noPageBreak. Then \noPageBreak needs to respect the changes made
> > by \break so there must be a symbol that means "don't change anything" to
> > the paper-column-engraver.
>
> Isn't it it more straightforward to have multiple commands, that are
> independent, in the same way that you have to do
>
>    \bar ""
>
> before being to able to use \break in nonstandard places?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Are you thinking of having
multiple Events? With a BreakEvent, PageBreakEvent and PageTurnEvent we could
tweak break-permission, page-break-permission and page-turn-permission
individually. Is this any nicer than having an explicit 'forbid symbol,
though?