Re: Implementation of music streams

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Implementation of music streams
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 23:45:59 +0200

Erik Sandberg schreef:
On Tuesday 04 April 2006 20:42, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Erik Sandberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's my plan on how to front-port music streams to the 2.9 branch.
>
> 1. Implement classes Dispatcher, Stream_event, Listener (move modules
> from my thesis fork)
> 2. Add dispatchers event_source_, and possibly events_below_, to Context
> class.
> 3. Make Context::try_music send stream events to the event_source_.

This step is now finished, patch attached. You can notice some
additional stuff that has been added as well, which currently is
unused but will be used in future patches. You will notice that this
patch makes lily spit out lots of Junking Event messages, which are
harmless.

oh btw, there is one thing that strikes about the "unique" member/argument.

It's type is rather arbitrarily set to int. Isn't it more sensible to make it an SCM value, and leave it up to the deliverer of the music stream to assign unique SCM values?

Second question: the whole concept of unique seems a bit out of place to me: the number is essentially a marshalling device, making it possible to refer to a specific context inside a stream, saved as a file, but I don't see why it should be stored inside the Context struct. I think it would be more appropriate to generate the numbers via a

  map<Context*, int>

member of the stream writer.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation