Re: New attempt on tuplets/percent repeats

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: New attempt on tuplets/percent repeats
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:11:23 +0200

Erik Sandberg schreef:
> Highlights:
> - tuplets are now signalled by start/stop events.

This patch looks almost ready for inclusion. Can you address my
tuplet-event nit, verify that a clean make web still work, and commit?

The tuplet-engraver looks good, but I would still like the events to be
generated in the Tuplet_iterator (which you may rename from
time-scaled-music-iterator), so the music representation is analogous to
the

  \times 2/3

syntax.

ok, that's fine. Perhaps the music compression should be performed by
the iterator as well?

I've been toying with that idea for a long time, but I haven't been able to work out how we could do that easily and cleanly.

Keeping the music representation and syntax as closely related as
possible makes things easier, both for me (understanding the whole
thing), Nicolas (maintaining display-music) and you (when you want to
separate the parser and tree generation).

In general, I think it makes sense to move parser substitutions as much
as possible to the iterators, eg. at some point, we should also change
the implementation of mmrests, \clef and \time.

Is there a long-term plan to make iterators softcodable? The main
thing I dislike about moving stuff to iterators is that it moves code
to C++, so if someone wants to do a nonstandard tweak of
time_scaled_music_iterator, he has to recompile lily locally.

No plans, but I understand your concern. However, I haven't seen instances that need SCM-written iterators. Let's wait for situations where that is necessary before we start changing things. FWIW, there is a lot in the parser that is softcodable (eg. the meaning of articulation scripts, the \bar command etc), but nobody ever uses that functionality.

BTW, what's your position on copyrights/licensing? I've added my name
to files which I feel I have modified massively, do you have
objections to that?

No, go ahead. Remember to update AUTHORS.texi too.

(I'm ready to relicense any code I write to lgpl
or gpl>=3 if that's needed in the future)

I have toyed with the idea of getting disclaimers from all contributors, but haven't actually gone through with the idea. Regarding GPLv3 vs GPL vs LGPL, let's wait before the v3 storm settles down before changing licensing terms.

Also, we might consider removing the names from copyright headers completely - as it puts ownership stamps on files, which not desirable from a engineering perspective. Perhaps it would be better to have a separate legal entity to carry the copyrights.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com