repeated texi2dvi runs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: repeated texi2dvi runs
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 22:27:00 -0700

Is anybody here familiar with texinfo and texi2dvi? I'm flailing around relatively blindly...

I can currently produce a pdf of the lilypond docs by running "make web" two or three times, deleting lilypond.dvi (and .pdf) in between. Sometimes it produces a lilypond.dvi without any table of contents or index entries; the second or third time everything works beautifully. In both cases, there are a whole bunch of error messages in the log file. I'm not certain if they're serious or not, but since the build process eventually produces a correct pdf, I'm doubly confused by them.

Major changes (that I think are relevant) from last week:
@cindex @code{\command}  globally replaced with  @funindex

Added to  macros.itexi:
@macro funindex {WORD}
@findex \WORD\
@kindex \WORD\
@end macro

Added to stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make:
texi2dvi -E ...
(as a method of making a small text file work, proposed by Karl Berry)

All these changes are in current CVS in the hopes that somebody else could look at them. If nobody can figure it out, I'll revert the whole mess.