Re: Context aliases

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Context aliases
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:04:42 +0100

Erik Sandberg escreveu:
hi,

In my quest for softcoding context-defs, I will need to revisit the \alias system. This is not on the top of my todo, but I'd like to hear any protests early.

I suggest that the \alias mechanism is scrapped altogether, and replaced with something else:
- junk Bottom alias, instead make is_bottom_context accessible from scheme.
- other aliases are replaced with appropriate boolean context properties, with more intuitive names (e.g. property 'isLyricMelody replaces current \alias Voice).

I think this will be an improvement, because we remove the concept of aliases, which confuses users (at least it confuses me a bit); in addition we don't need to do anything extra to softcode aliases.

I don't understand. How will this work in practice?  Ie. if I do

  \set Timing.measurePosition = #..

how will it be processed?

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation