Re: Context aliases

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Context aliases
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:43:34 +0100

On Monday 06 November 2006 17:02, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> >> I don't understand. How will this work in practice?  Ie. if I do
> >>
> >>    \set Timing.measurePosition = #..
> >>
> >> how will it be processed?
> >
> > We will have to change that to an \applyContext which finds/creates a
> > context with the 'timing property set, something like
> > \findContextWithPredicate #'timing \set measurePosition = #...
>
> I still don't understand why you want to scrap it.

The main reason is to have one event less in the stream API (if we will keep
the current alias mechanism, I will have to create an add-alias stream
event). IWBN to keep that API minimal, and to me it seems that aliases aren't
much used anyways.

However, you have a very point that functions like \applyoutput will get more
complicated if we want to keep full backward compatibility.

--
Erik