Re: Documentation translation: first patch

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Documentation translation: first patch
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:38:10 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thank you for bearing with my patch. After that, what do you think the
> > most efficient plan is? Should I keep working on the
> > makefiles/buildscripts even if you have to polish my work, or should I
> > simply restart the translation work on the lilypond-user-fr list now and
> > let you working alone ?
>
> I'm not sure what that means.  What would you want to do on the
> makefiles, what happens if you work on the lilypond-user-fr list?

I mean I don't have enough time to do both things.

I don't want to do anything particular on the makefiles, as long as you
work on them.

The mailing list allows the translation to be done in team, just like
the French translators always have done. It's slower than working alone,
but results in much more quality.

> I have identified the problems with the png files: the \sourcefiline
> command that is included in the .ly's differs between original and
> translation.
>
> We'll have to decide on how to fix that, but for now I simply removed
> that from the fr-doc branch.

Do you mean we must not translate the snippets until that's fixed?
I don't know actually, partly because I can't build 'fr-doc' branch
without fixes -- have you intentionally not added GNUmakefiles in
Documentation/po, Documentation/fr and Documentation/fr/user ?
I suppose you're fixing them, so I'm going to be patient :-)

>  When it's really fixed I intend to fold
> this into 2.10 real soon.  I'd be happy if you work on the finishing
> bitsof the translation of the tutorial, esp. we'll want to have
> tutorial's node names in the .po translated, now we have only the
> first two.
>
>     # Premiers pas
>     # Lancer LilyPond pour la première fois
>     # More about pitches

I just translated some entries of the .po to test the scripts. In the
coming days, I'm going to work on fr.po, polish the tutorial and submit
it to the French list.

I'll tell you when the tutorial is ready to be officially released.

John