Re: GDP: spaces around \override Context . PropertyName

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: spaces around \override Context . PropertyName
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 22:29:06 +0100

Graham Percival wrote:

Trevor Daniels wrote:

\override Score . LyricText #'font-shape = #'italic

It's up to you whether you want to mention this info again in LM4, or make it more visible in the NR (such as having a @node Tweaks in lyrics).

I tried putting the spaces round the dot
in notemode and they seem to work fine there too.
So another option is to suggest users put the spaces
in all the time (in LM4), but explain that they are not strictly necessary except in lyricmode. It would
remove one inconsistency and a likely trip-up (one that's just got me!).

What do you think?

Hmm, interesting idea. To be consistent, we should add spaces around all such items in the manual. (that's easily done with sed, so no worries about that)

Basically, we'd consider \override Context.PropertyName to be an unmentioned (or rare mentioned) hack, just like we current treat \relative { ... }

What do people here think?

I think the dot might be somewhat more difficult to spot (i.e. easier
to miss) if it's surrounded by spaces, so I fear it might lead to more
confused questions on why
\override Context ObjectName #'property = #'value
doesn't work when people have tried to read in the manual and
type in code from some example.

   /Mats