Re: \times vs. \tuplet

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: \times vs. \tuplet
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:07:45 -0700

Paco Vila wrote:
El Sat, 08 de Dec de 2007, a las 06:52:18PM +0100, John Mandereau dijo:
I second this; there has been a huge thread on lilypond-user, and
besides all different wishes that can hardly be satisified, I seem to
remember there was some general consensus about changing "\times" to
"\tuplet".

Just a comment:

if "times" can be read as "multiplied by" this is no longer true with tuplet. With a triplet, fon instance, the more commonly point of view is to see it as "three in the space of two", but the times syntax changes this to be 2/3. No problem if you know that it is times 2/3, i.e. visible durations multiplied by 2/3 give real durations. With the tuplet syntax it would be more logical to say \tuplet 3/2 {}
I believe that was discussed which is why I asked my question.

Would it be unreasonable to simply add \tuplet as code/macro that would call or use \times? That way those of us who are not confused by \times can use it and those who prefer \tuplet can use that.

Paul