Re: \times -> \tuplet (was Re: Issue 566 in lilypond: showStaffSwitch ->

From: Bryan Stanbridge
Subject: Re: \times -> \tuplet (was Re: Issue 566 in lilypond: showStaffSwitch -> \staffSwitchOn)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:38:09 -0500

John Mandereau wrote:
There has already been a *huge* thread on the -user list about this, and
the conclusion was that the only realistic change we could do was
renaming \times to \tuplet, and nothing else; the point of my remark in
the bug tracker was to ask developers' opinion about actually doing
this, and not about reopening the discussion -- unless you have new
ideas, of course.

I am still very much opposed to this as a mandatory change. Aliasing times to tuplet would be great. But I've spent a long time with the \times syntax and have never had any problem confusing it with \time. \tuplet is longer to type and falls much more strangely on the keyboard than does \times. Times is mathematically precise and describes exactly what is happening when the keyword is applied. If there is such an overwhelming problem with the confusion (and I still have trouble believing that to be the case), then an alias should be created, but we should not remove the \times keyword.

Cheers,
Bryan...