Re: \times -> \tuplet

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: \times -> \tuplet
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:06:24 -0800

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:58:21 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > There has already been a *huge* thread on the -user list about
> > > this, and the conclusion was that the only realistic change we
> > > could do was renaming \times to \tuplet, and nothing else;
>
> > I am still very much opposed to this as a mandatory change. Aliasing
> > times to tuplet would be great.
>
> Yes.

Would this aliasing include a convert-ly rule, or not?  That's
going to be impossible to resolve.

> > \times syntax and have never had any problem confusing it with
> > \time.  \tuplet is longer to type and falls much more strangely on
> > the keyboard than does \times.
>
> Only a native English speaker can say that \time is difficult to mix
> up with \times.  I think that my English is not very bad, and I still
> sometimes mix them up.

I /am/ a native English speaker, and I still screw up \time and
\times.  And don't forget about people who don't understand
English at all, and only read the translated docs.  Noticing (and
remembering!) the difference between \time and \times is not easy.

There isn't much difference in typing \tuplet vs. \times.  On a
normal english keyboard (ie US-104 key), hitting the \ occupies
the most time.  The rest isn't much of a factor.

That said, I don't think we have enough agreement to go ahead with
this.  *sigh*   Maybe next year...