RE: \times -> \tuplet (was Re: Issue 566 in lilypond: showStaffSwitch ->

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: \times -> \tuplet (was Re: Issue 566 in lilypond: showStaffSwitch -> \staffSwitchOn)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:36:20 -0000

Bryan Stanbridge wote on 27 January 2008 21:38

> John Mandereau wrote:
> > There has already been a *huge* thread on the
> -user list about this, and
> > the conclusion was that the only realistic
> change we could do was
> > renaming \times to \tuplet, and nothing else;
> the point of my remark in
> > the bug tracker was to ask developers' opinion
> about actually doing
> > this, and not about reopening the discussion --
> unless you have new
> > ideas, of course.
>
> I am still very much opposed to this as a
> mandatory change.
[snip]
> Times is mathematically precise
> and describes exactly
> what is happening when the keyword is applied. If
> there is such an
> overwhelming problem with the confusion (and I
> still have trouble
> believing that to be the case), then an alias
> should be created, but we
> should not remove the \times keyword.

I too oppose this as a mandatory change, and the
creation of an alias.  \times does exactly what
the word 'times' implies and not what 'tuplet'
would imply.  The change would lead to still greater
confusion, with new users writing the fraction
upside-down.

I would however favour the introduction of \tuplet,
but *only* with the reversed fraction.  If resources
do not permit this at the moment then I vote for
no change, so preserving \tuplet for its proper use
some time later.

> Cheers,
> Bryan...

Trevor D