Re: How shall we treat AU "1.2 Compiling from source" in translations?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: How shall we treat AU "1.2 Compiling from source" in translations?
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:28:09 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 10. September 2008 schrieb John Mandereau:
> On 2008/09/10 14:15 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > I understand the reasons and I agree, too. However, it's not clear to me
> > how the following sections should look like in the translations. Shall we
> > simply replace all of section 1.2 by something like:
> >
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > @node Compiling from source
> > @section Compiling from source
> >
> > You can also compile LilyPond directly from the source-code in the git
> > repository. As this definitely requires some basic knowledge of English,
> > we only refer to the [[link to english Compiling-from-source.html|English
> > documentation]] for the instructions.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > I would prefer this to directly inserting english text in the translated
> > documentation.
>
> You're right; Till's already made a similar request.

Can we please add a (commented) reference text in English to
Documentation/user/install.itely so that all translations use roughly the
same wording?

> > However, what I'm missing is a way to create a link to the
> > corresponding English section... How can I do this?
>
> @iftex
> see the documentation in English, @ref{Compiling from
> source,,,lilypond-program,Application Usage}.
> @end iftex

Won't this create a link to the same section rather than the English one?

> @ifhtml
> see the documentation in English by following the link at bottom of this
> page.
> @end ifhtml

Hehe, not very user-friendly. I would prefer an inline link:

> You could even use something like
> see the @uref{Compiling-from-source.html,documentation in English}.
> in HTML output.

Yes, I'll try that out.

BTW, the translation-status script also needs to be changed, because it
doesn't find some nodes in the translated file, thus thinking that the file
is not completely translated...

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --