Re: delaying new website after 2.14

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: delaying new website after 2.14
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:00:48 -0500

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

However, I very much argued in favour of bazaar, for the very
reasons you cite.  The bazaar project has as usability, ease of
use and good documentation as a prime goal -- and also does
very well in these areas -- much unlike git.  Although git has
improved a bit here and there, its commands and esp. arguments
are still a complete mess, whereas bzr has made grand strides
performance-wise.

Since we switched to GIT I have been looking into getting a bzr
mirror up for our git sources at launchpad.net, from time to time,
a new effort just failed.

I can offer some doc-contributor, non-programmer perspective here.

I recently wrote a manpage for a project managed by bazaar, and while some of it seemed easier, more intuitive, I found that it didn't handle merging very well. For example, after making a change and committing it, upon the next pull it would tell me there was a conflict, then I ran the command to fix the conflict and it would say "conflict resolved successfully," (great!) only to have exactly the same conflict arise next time I pulled, even after I made no changes at all. Very frustrating. At least when this happens on git I can pick a spot to reset my branch to. Still it might be worth trying bzr with Lilypond, as it's possible my problems were noob-related. Right now I'm more comfortable with git, if you can believe that. :) bzr has many of the same commands (or the same sorts of commands) and I think would cause the same sorts of problems for doc contributors who aren't used to using *any* kind of revision control system.

Another observation: the command to create a patch on bzr is prone to mistakes. It took me a few tries to get it right. "git format-patch origin" is much easier than what you type on bzr. Example: here's the command I had to type make a patch for the manpage for this project:

  bzr diff -r29..30 sap.1 > manpage.patch

Now, it worked, but to me this is harder than git. It's sort of an important part of the process, too, if we want doc contributors making their own patches.

my summary: bzr might be better-looking (at first), but it's not as smart as git and not really that much easier to use, at least for the things someone like me does.

Also it's very awkward to type "bzr" on a U.S. keyboard--a minor thing but annoying nonetheless. It'd be easier on a German layout or maybe some others.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com