Re: Snippets in doc compile different from stand-alone

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Snippets in doc compile different from stand-alone
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:30:16 -0600

On 7/10/09 3:37 PM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm trying to finish up the revisions to the autobeaming code.
>
> I've got it working just fine when I compile from the command line.
>
> But when snippets are included in the docs, they seem to compile different
> than from the command line.
>
> I'll take a snippet that's in the docs (not one that's included as a file),
> copy it to a .ly file, wrap it in \relative c''{}, and everything works
> fine.
>
> But when I compile the docs with make doc, the snippet doesn't work.
>
> Is there a different version of LilyPond called when make doc is running?  I
> can't figure out what the story is.  Any clues would be appreciated.

I finally discovered what was going on.  The snippet was being replaced with
the version from one of the translated documents.  I actually fought with
this last December, and Neil gave me this answer:

> On 12/15/08 1:49 PM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Carl,
>>
>>> The make web choked on trying to run a lilypond snippet.  I looked at the
>>> snippet, and the reason that lilypond choked was because the snippet was the
>>> *old* version of the snippet, not the new version of the snippet.  So the
>>> last lines of the make web output aren't likely to be helpful.  If there are
>>> helpful lines in the output, they would be likely to show up somewhere
>>> above, where snippets are extracted from the .itely files.
>>
>> The old snippets were in the translations; running update-snippets.py
>> copied the syntax changes over from user.
>
> Thanks, Neil.  I suspected that they were in the translations, but I had no
> idea how to get them over.
>
> Carl

Neil,

Can we get something in the CG about this problem, and how to run
update-snippets.py to fix things, or at least a statement about the easiest
way to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Carl