Re: Snippets in doc compile different from stand-alone

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Snippets in doc compile different from stand-alone
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:21:53 -0600

On 7/14/09 4:11 PM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2009/7/14 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>
>> Can we get something in the CG about this problem, and how to run
>> update-snippets.py to fix things, or at least a statement about the easiest
>> way to solve the problem?
>
> It's already mentioned in CG (in passing), but I got the impression
> when I stumbled across it for the compile fix in December that it's
> mainly for use by translators.

Hmm -- I read through the CG and missed it.  Now that I know what I'm
looking for, I see where it is.  I'll add something to the CG.

I think that somehow we need to get it to be used by others besides
tranlators.  I need to use it because I can't push a patch until I verify
make doc works.

I could just verify that make doc works properly in a subdirectory (e.g.
Documentation/user), and then I know that the new english manuals work
properly.

But if I've changed syntax, and the translated manuals will no longer work
properly, then I break compilation if I push a patch.

So in the case of a syntax change that needs a NOT_SMART convert-ly rule, we
should have some procedure in place to avoid future occurences of this
problem, it seems to me.

I'm not sure exactly what is the best method of doing this, however.

Thanks,

Carl