Re: Snippets in doc compile different from stand-alone

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Snippets in doc compile different from stand-alone
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:31:00 +0200

Le jeudi 16 juillet 2009 à 09:12 -0600, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
> I tried running
>
> make ISOLANG=fr snippet-update
>
> from Documentation/.  It ran, but most of the files were not able to be
> updated because they had a different snippet count.  So at the present time,
> make snippet-update is not particularly useful in terms of updating
> snippets; the work will need to be done largely by hand.

Indeed.  If we had a Texinfo parser usable as a module (and I hope we'll
have one soon), it would be easy to change this script so it would try
to update snippets node by node.

> So, just to make sure I'm clear on this, I'd like to propose the following
> for addition to the CG:
>
> When a snippet is changed or deleted from the english documentation, the
> same change (or deletion) should be applied to all translated versions of
> the documentation.
>
> However, when text is changed, added, or removed from the english
> documentation, no changes should be made to the translated versions of the
> documentation.
>

> Is this correct?

I'd complete the last sentence with "besides removing snippets that
break compilation of the documentation"; besides this, this LGTM.

Thanks,
John