Re: PATCH: Consolidate autobeaming to one property that controls it

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: PATCH: Consolidate autobeaming to one property that controls it
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:11:58 -0600

On 7/14/09 4:08 PM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2009/7/12 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>
>> I don't know.  I didn't write displayLilyMusic; that was Nicolas IIRC.  I do
>> know that \time 3/4 executes those functions.  It's really easy to go
>> forward in the parse tree (i.e. from \time 3/4 to \set Timing....), but I
>> don't know any way to reliably go in reverse.
>
> It looks like the matching process works by generating an equivalent
> music expression then comparing it with the input (see
> define-music-display-methods.scm, from line 971).

Oh, I wasn't thinking that it was set up as a set of specific pattern
matching examples.  I'll fix the patterns to make them work right.

> I imagine part of the reason it doesn't work is that you've removed
> the setting for beatGrouping.
>
>> I guess I'm not *too* concerned that \displayLilyMusic return exactly what
>> what entered into it.  As long as it returns valid music expressions, then I
>> think it's probably OK.
>
> OK, perhaps a TODO in the file will suffice for now,

No, now that you've shown this to me, I won't be able to let it rest.  It
will require some changing to my current code, as well as changes to
define-music-display-methods.scm, but I'll do it.

Neil, I'm totally impressed with your comprehension of the LilyPond code
base.  How do you do it?  I consider myself a pretty smart guy, but I feel
like I'm walking around in a fog compared to you.  Thanks for being my
lighthouse!

Carl