Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: demery
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:37:46 -0000

> If this were strictly a tablature issue, I'd say keep it at "dead notes",
> since that is the guitar term.

but what of citterns, ukes, banjoes and other modern plucked instruments
who would (do) use tablature notation?

BTW, its been several decades since I was actively consulting tutors on
classical guitar (my first serious instrument), but I do not recall any
mention of 'dead' notes, tho from my singing experience I am reminded of
'morire', an instruction to bring the sound volume down to nothing (but
not suddenly, not quite the same as damping a string).  I should think
harp would have terminology for playing dampened; maybe even
harpsichord/piano pedaling instructions (or organ swell shade
instructions) would be relevant.

My druthers would be for 'muted' over 'dead' - more professional, and a
better cognate.

Also, lots more instruments gonna wanna be using modern tablature than
just guitar - bass guitar, uke, cittern, bozouki, banjo.
--
Dana Emery