Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:16:55 +0200

Carl Sorensen schrieb:

Right, so we *must* have the function mode.  Do we need the setting mode as
well?  I don't feel strongly about eliminating it, but I don't feel strongly
about keeping it either.  I trust your judgment.
I prefer to offer both variants.
However, now that I think about it, for the function call, I would prefer
the name \deadNotes (plural) instead of \deadNote (singular), because it can
take multiple notes in its argument.
Yes, I had that before, but I decided to remove the plural s, because
in chord constructs, it works only on the next note, and in normal
contexts,
c d \deadNote e f
influences only the e (\deadNotes would imply to influence e and f, in my opinion).
When one uses { }, \deadNote works on a group of notes, so the meaning here
is clear. So personnally, I wouldn't change it ...

4) Formatting nit on scm/tablature.scm

line 125-128: I think it would look better to put all the arguments to
ly:stencil-combine-at-edge on line 124.

line 129-131:  I would like it better to have the last three arguments to
the first ly:stencil-combine-at-edge call on line 125, nested to the same
depth as the inner (ly:stencil-combine-at-edge call.

I don't want to blame others here, but this piece of code was 1:1 copied
from Neil's mail.
Shall I reformat it and send a new patch, or are there other
possibilities to correct it?

This kind of judgment is somewhat subjective.  You can leave it as is, or
you can reformat it.  If you reformat it, please send a new patch.
If this is the only thing to change, I will leave it as is until I had to apply
changes (for parentheses or additional functions) - not because I'm
lasy, but because of my incomplete knowledge of git (it is still a kind
of a fight each time)
Other than that, things look good.

Oh, BTW, Thomas Morgan is currently working on a new Parenthesize markup
command that will be better than the current parentheses; it will draw the
parentheses as slurs.  This may be something you want to use in the future.
Great! This opens the possibilitiy of drawing parentheses around chords,
isn't it?

It will, but it may yet have its own problems.  It will parenthesize any
stencil.  I don't know if the set of noteheads forms its own stencil
(separate from the stem) or not.  If it does, we'll be home free on
parenthesizing chords.  If not, we'll still have to figure out how to get
the set of noteheads for parenthesizing.
Ok, let's wait and see.

Marc
Thanks,

Carl