Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:45:37 -0600

On 7/25/09 12:01 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> Excellent!
>> Then I nominate @frenchspacing (i.e., single-spaced sentences)
>> be used for the English docs, consistent with the overwhelming
>> majority of modern English typographic style guides and
>> practice... Seconder? Opposed? Abstentions?
>
> Seconder.
> http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/OneSpaceorTwo/OneSpaceorTwo_questi
> ons01.html
>
> Patrick McCarty wrote:
>> Don't we want to be following the GNU Coding Standards?  They
>> explicitly suggest using two spaces after a full stop.
>
> The GNU Coding Standards specify two spaces after the end of
> sentences in *comments* only. See paragraph 6:
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Comments.html#Comments
>
> - Mark

Two spaces after a full stop allows the emacs sentence detection code to
work properly.

@frenchspacing eliminates the extra space after the full stop at the end of
the sentence.

Aren't we glad we use typesetting software instead of WYSIWYG word
processors?  We can separate content from presentation.  Two spaces to make
emacs work, @frenchspacing to make the docs work.

Let's keep the two space rule for our documentation!

Carl