Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 07:48:59 -0400

Hi David,

Well, the TeX book says:

Excellent reference — thanks!

so there _is_ extra natural space for a space factor of 2000 and larger.

Perhaps the best compromise, then, would be to set the space factor at 1999 — that way, the single-spacers (a.k.a. star-bellied Sneeches) would be somewhat satisfied because the extra natural space would not come into play, and the double-spacers (a.k.a. non-star-bellied Sneeches) would be somewhat satisfied because the space factor is larger than normal word space (via justification stretch)?

Cheers,
Kieren.

p.s. Thanks for the fun and fascinating discussion: I'm learning a bunch about TeX that I never knew before!