Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:13:48 +0200

"Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG
> <address@hidden> writes
>>Indeed, I just see that @frenchspacing is only used for French and
>>Japanese (the latter only partially).  It should be activated for all
>>languages except, perhaps, English.  Note that I don't care what you
>>native speakers actually decide for English :-)
>
> As a native English speaker (that's English, not American), I'd say
> that two spaces are wrong, too.

@nonfrenchspacing does _not_, I repeat _not_, cause a larger space to
appear by _default_ at sentence endings.  However, when TeX does line
justification, it will (if necessary) stretch the space after sentence
endings more than the interword space when @nonfrenchspacing is being
used.

So it distributes justification space, a sometimes necessary ugliness,
differently when using @nonfrenchspacing.  Since the interword space
tears the flow of reading apart worse than the intersentence space, I
consider that a sensible idea.