Re: tabs vs. spaces in source code

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: tabs vs. spaces in source code
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 21:49:21 +0200

Le samedi 25 juillet 2009 à 09:58 -0700, Mark Polesky a écrit :
> But even in such cases, as long as my tab-width matches the
> tab-widths in the source, tabs2spaces should be fine. Is it
> correct to say that git (or savannah) translates all tabs to 8
> spaces without exception?

Git doesn't translate tabs, and although 8 spaces is a commonly used
equivalence for a tab, there is no such universal standard equivalence.

As Hans pointed out, the most important is that sources look good in
text editors, so as long as it's possible to set up everyone's text
editor correctly in this respect, there's no need to worry about tabs
IMHO.

FWIW my binary of Emacs 22.3.1 does insert spaces rather than tabs in
programming and Texinfo source code.

Best,
John