Re: tabs vs. spaces in source code

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: tabs vs. spaces in source code
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:25:27 +0200

On ma, 2009-07-27 at 19:13 +0200, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
> Le 27 juil. 09 à 17:16, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
>
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Graham
> > Percival<address@hidden> wrote:
> >> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 06:15:31PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:

> > Sure - just include a .emacs snippet in the appropriate docs, so I
> > know how to configure my editor, if I ever get to hacking lily again.
> > :)
>

> (custom-set-variables
>    ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>    ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>    ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>    ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>   '(indent-tabs-mode nil))
>
> Documentation:
> *Indentation can insert tabs if this is non-nil.

That won't work, at least not as long as LilyPond decides to deviate
from the GNU standards.  You'll need to make a special exception
for LilyPond, something like this

    (defun lilypond-c-mode-common-hook ()
      (setq indent-tabs-mode nil))

    (defvar lilypond-c-mode-directory-regexp
      ".*/vc/\\(lilypond-*\\).*"
      "Regexp that matches directories into your LilyPond source tree.")
    (setq lilypond-c-mode-directory-regexp ".*/vc/\\(lilypond-*")

    (defun conditional-ooo-c-mode-common-hook ()
      (when (string-match lilypond-c-mode-directory-regexp buffer-file-name)
        (message "Using LilyPond code settings")
        (lilypond-c-mode-common-hook)))

...but then also for scm and texinfo files.

Maybe we can start a repository at savannah that collects snippets
like this for all types of editor and all projects that decide to
add a little enhancement over the standard coding settings?  What
do you think?  That would make it fairly easy to cater for all kinds
of different standards!

Jan.

Avatar®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org