Re: tabs vs. spaces in source code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: tabs vs. spaces in source code
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:08:44 -0700

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 03:56:53PM +0000, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On a larger scale, I am somewhat disappointed that a lot of the latest
> lilypond efforts seem to be centered around janitorial work.   While
> janitorial work is often useful and a good way to introduce yourself
> to a code base, it should not become the focus of either development
> or discussion about development.

Seriously?  I'm *amazed* at all the work that Mark has been doing.
Despite the handicap of using windows (can't compile lilypond,
doesn't have the handy development environment+tools we take for
granted on windows), he's doing a _fantastic_ job!  I know that I
always used to say "oh, you don't need to compile the C++ to do
lots of work on lilypond programming", but I never actually knew
what I was talking about.  :)

That's not to say that Carl and Neil are slouches when it comes to
programming, of course!  They're also doing a great job of helping
Frogs, reviewing patches, etc.

I really think that the lilypond developer community is now
healthier than it has been for years: we have a wide range of
ability levels (i.e. the "next generation" is currently being
mentored), we have a fairly robust culture of reviewing each
other's patches, etc.

Ok, the patch-reviewing (and not losing!) could be a _bit_
stricter.  But it's much better to have too many patches floating
around than not enough!  And as more and more of the Frogs mature,
we'll have more reviewers, since any Frog will remember the agony
of waiting anxiously for somebody -- anybody! -- to review their
patch.