Re: improving the CG

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 02:09:50 +0100

Le samedi 26 décembre 2009 à 21:25 -0700, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
> But if you write what you would have liked to have had, then it will be
> available for the next person like you.  And whether it goes in an appendix
> or in the body of the CG can be resolved later, IMO.

Whereas detailed explanations will make beginners start more
comfortably, they will be also a maintenance burden, so a good balance
is not obvious to find.  Mark, may I suggest you to try to write
explanations as if you'd have to maintain them as Git evolves during the
next 10 years? (although you actually won't have to :-)

I have an objection about putting Git stuff in an appendix: if some text
is too long to be in the main document, it would better be used to
improve some generic (and already good enough, with a reasonable
expected life time) Git documentation.  I know this is much more work,
but would have a better payoff and this would more likely free you (and
us) from any maintenance burden other than maintaining an URL.

Best,
John