Re: improving the CG

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 02:45:38 +0100

Le dimanche 27 décembre 2009 à 18:20 -0700, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
> And I don't see much of a maintenance headache; basic git isn't likely to
> change much, and all we're using is basic git.

This hasn't been true in the past, remember the merge of
git-update-index and git-add commands into git-add.  As for Git
concepts, you're right that they don't change much, but see my next
comment.

> I think that the most effective way to provide this help is with a small
> customized tutorial (including all of the downstream maintenance).

I'm still not convinced.  From what I remember of Git documentation
(including gentle introduction material), I had the feeling that it
always supposed, implicitly or explicitly, that the reader was quickly
comfortable with mathematical concepts (like a revision history as a
directed acyclic graph), which may not be true for a non-mathematically
minded reader.  That said, I *can't* be sure that the difficulty really
comes from this, and generally I can't guess well what is difficult to
understand for non-computer-scientists or non-mathematicians, as my
recent experience about teaching computer programming to a math PhD mate
litterally from scratch.  Anyway, in case this kind of issue is relevant
for new Git users that work with Lily sources, I'm sure that it would be
equally well addressed in a generic Git documentation, but with the
added benefit of a greater audience.

Best,
John