Re: Clarification of 'font' usage to use Gonville over Feta

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Clarification of 'font' usage to use Gonville over Feta
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 07:38:59 +0100 (CET)

> see
>
>   http://codereview.appspot.com/246041
>
> for an even less hacky install.

Very nice.  The renaming is a good thing IMHO.

> I had a brief look at the doc of how the fonts are created. You may
> want to look into learning MetaFont - it matches pretty well how you
> created the fonts, and AFAICS it should be easy to convert Gonville
> to MF; it could then be distributed with lilypond.  Perhaps Werner
> (our font guru) could help?

I see two approaches: Do a *real* conversion, this is, write font
programs so that you can benefit from the mathematical capabilities of
MetaFont, or do a *mechanical* one by using a script which adds bells
and whistles where necessary.  Both methods have advantages and
disadvantages: The former is probably quite time consuming, while the
latter essentially doesn't allow for fine tuning on the MetaFont side.

However, doing a mechanical conversion (which essentially creates a
bunch of points scattered in the coordinate plane), then starting to
adjust the points manually in the MetaFont code is something I would
really like to avoid...

    Werner