git repository with fixed history ready

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: git repository with fixed history ready
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:18:40 +0100

Hi,

I've taken another look at fixing lily's history this weekend,
it should be ready now to replace our old broken repository,
have a look at the result

    git clone http://lilypond.org/people/janneke/vc/hysterical-lily.git

Our current GIT archive suffers from major problems in the
CVS->GIT conversion, and also at the time of CVS conversion
(looong ago), so if you go further back than release 1.5.49,
you get eventually into some sort of crappy cycles like

    3114c9b lilypond-0.0.1
    673ae03 lilypond-0.0.9
    3d9b7e6 lilypond-0.0.1
    27058a7 lilypond-0.0.1
    f5a68ac lilypond-0.0.1
    0292bf9 lilypond-0.0.1
    1c3b8de flower-1.0.18
    8e98b32 flower-1.0.2
    f53fdff lilypond-0.0.1

The new archive fixes this and has a smooth history line
all down to

    $ git log --abbrev-commit --pretty=oneline | tail
    a7cbcf7 release: 0.0.3
    8f9609a release: 0.0.2
    f9ae673 release: 0.0.1
    fc51c93 Initial.

it contains all stable branches and tags and also fixes/
unifies some weird email addresses from the CVS and pre-CVS
era.  It is up-to date as of yesterday evening (6510c4a).

There's one small problem with replacing the old repository,
*all* committishes change, and everyone will have to make
a fresh clone, and any work based on the old repository
must be copied over to the new clone using git format-patch
and git am.

Greetings,
Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org