Re: git repository with fixed history ready

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: git repository with fixed history ready
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 01:49:11 +0000

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 09:18:40AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> There's one small problem with replacing the old repository,
> *all* committishes change, and everyone will have to make
> a fresh clone, and any work based on the old repository
> must be copied over to the new clone using git format-patch
> and git am.

Could somebody translate for the git-impaired?

- if I have no non-pushed commits, do I need to do anything?

- does anything need to happen to branches like dev/waf ?  (again,
  assuming that we have pushed everything)

- if we tell new contributors to remove their lilypond-git dirs
  before the changeover, then tell them to run lily-git after the
  changeover, will it work?

if the answer to any of those questions is yes... I mean no... I
mean, if the answers aren't no, no, yes... then I'd like to move
more slowly on this.  If the answers *are* no, no, yes, then let's
declare Thurs 25 March as the changeover date and get it over
with.