Re: website translation infrastructure

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: website translation infrastructure
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:48:45 +0200

Il giorno mer, 31/03/2010 alle 19.31 +0100, Graham Percival ha scritto:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 02:19:32PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> > You mean scripts/build.  Yay, yet another place for translating
> > strings :-P
>
> Not my problem.

You mean you don't care about maintainability for these scripts, which
may survive a build system switch?

> I have no desires for or against that.  However, if you more stuff
> into python/ then you'll need to update website.make to declare
> PYTHONHOME.

I was thinking of PYTHONPATH, I'll choose most appropriate.

> Don't the partly-translated texinfo files contain English at the
> beginning?

No, I trim out every bit of copied English docs I notice in the
translations (I don't do it systematically, though), but for offline
target the output files that are "empty" (i.e. marked as "UNTRANSLATED")
in translations are replaced by copies of the output files in English.
This functionality should be copied from www_post:postprocess_html to
web_post if not already done.

>   If so, it's no problem: community.de.html (for
> example) would contain only English text, but that's not a
> problem.  No, the extra bandwidth in uploading idential
> community.en.html and community.de.html is /not/ an issue.

Agreed (modulo the file copying problem), so unless I discover problems
with this I will conserve the disabling of the auto-language selection
for pages other than the home page (which the current system amounts
to).  It is an issue for the manuals, though.

> Spend as much time as you want -- the current system works, so
> it's not release-critical.  I'm not going to work on these issues,
> so it's not a question of wasting my time.  I'll mark 1050 as
> started by you so that nobody else wanders across it.

OK, but I must have finished it by the end of the students holidays --
I'm not really on holiday except a few days for Easter, it's just that 3
of the 4 courses of master degree level I follow are suspended during
this week and next week, so I have a bit more time.

Best,
John