Re: midstaff line = stem shortened?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: midstaff line = stem shortened?
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:12:47 -0700 (PDT)

Here's a proof-of-concept for the stem-length algorithm.
In the attached file stem_lengths3.ly the staff labeled
"with the algorithm" is the one the follows Ted Ross's
suggestions.  I'd like to see LilyPond one day do something
like this, but implementing it is beyond me for now.

The "suggested compromise" looks nice though, and I've
attached a separate file called adjust-stem-lengths.ly that
provides a callback function to achieve this without
modifying the source code.  It's more like a snippet, so
should I add it to the LSR?

By the way, is anyone else following this thread? (:

- Mark