duplicate commits in git (was: 2.13.18 might not contain everything)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: duplicate commits in git (was: 2.13.18 might not contain everything)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:59:14 +0100

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 03:18:24PM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> > I'm not concerned about the release (any missing bugfixes will be
> > in .19 anyway), but does this matter for the commit history?
>
> Not too much. Just a bit of noise.

Is that noise important?  I know that you don't think it's a
problem, but what about Jan, Patrick, and all the people who spent
ages working on fixing the ancient (pre-2000) git history?  I
mean, if they care about stuff that old, wouldn't they care about
2010?

Won't these extra commits mess up the gitstats and the like?

> > mean, we had a week of git not-really-working while Jan made
> > multiple different versions of the repository; would something
> > like that be required in the future?
>
> Something like what exactly? Our latest repo works fine for me and my
> habits have not changed.

We had a week without doc work due to constantly-changing
repositories.  If you weren't active during that week, then you
wouldn't have noticed it.

> > Or does it only affect lilypond/translation, which we don't look
> > at the stats for?
>
> In the long term, stats for all branches are identical as long as they
> got merged periodically.

Then it sounds like we have a problem.

Does any git experts know how to remove duplicate commits from the
history?