Re: duplicate commits in git (was: 2.13.18 might not contain everything)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: duplicate commits in git (was: 2.13.18 might not contain everything)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:38:53 +0100

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 06:01:30PM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2010/4/17 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > We had a week without doc work due to constantly-changing
> > repositories.  If you weren't active during that week, then you
> > wouldn't have noticed it.
>
> I can not agree; everyone had to start a fresh repo, having been active or
> not.

Yes, but some people had to start 3 or 4 fresh repo, and there was
confusion about whether patches applies to repo #2 would appear in
repo #3 or #4, etc.  When repo #3 appeared without material that
I'd pushed for a new doc committer who worked on repo #2, I told
the doc editors to take a holiday for a week because it was too
confusing and disheartening for contributors new to git.

> You are too much concerned about stats these days, IMO. Judge by
> yourself, http://paconet.org/lilypond-statistics/ [updated]

I don't care about stats.  I care about the morale of new
contributors.  I care about recruiting moderate-to-advanced users
to help explain concepts to doc editors.  The whole git repo
switching occurred two days after I asked for volunteers to help
with the docs.  But then, after a few days, I had to tell them all
to wait a week.

People like to see immediate effect of their aid.  They didn't get
that.  Scarce wonder that nothing ended up happening from that
request.  And to avoid being the boy that cried wolf, I'll have to
wait a month before making the same request again.

So if the rebase is going to cause another round of git
repositories, I'd like it done sooner rather than later.  If not,
then there's no problem.