Doc: Contributor's: Update Regression tests (issue1545043)

From: percival . music . ca
Subject: Doc: Contributor's: Update Regression tests (issue1545043)
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:50:23 +0000

Looks mostly good.

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/2
File Documentation/contributor/programming-work.itexi (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/2#newcode1305
Documentation/contributor/programming-work.itexi:1305:
Yes, -jX CPU_COUNT=X would be useful, but I'd rather not reproduce that
info everywhere in the manual.  ITTWBB (... ok, that doesn't work.  I
think it would be better) if had had a @node in CG 3 called something
like "Optimizing compilation" or "Compiling with more cores" or
something like that.

That said, since you've already written this stuff, and since
programming-work is very much a work in progress, we might as well leave
it here.  I might try cleaning up CG 3 in a month or two, so that
cleanup can wait until then.

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/3
File Documentation/contributor/regressions.itexi (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/3#newcode32
Documentation/contributor/regressions.itexi:32:
I'd either leave the "output of the regtests is also automatically...",
or else remove the `automaticaly' and have "output of the regtests can
be checked...".

Basically, the regtest comparison is generated by automatically
comparing two sets of lilypond output, but the comparison should be /
could be checked manually.  (hmm, maybe we should just add a third
sentence, explain the whole thing, and not try to condense it into a
single sentence)

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/3#newcode40
Documentation/contributor/regressions.itexi:40:
Why @ignore this stuff?  It looks accurate, it looks good for an
overview of the situation.  If you don't want to explain it in the intro
(I'm willing to listen to reasons), then please remove it entirely.

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/3#newcode55
Documentation/contributor/regressions.itexi:55:
Link to latest (complete, non-comparison'd) regtests?

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/3#newcode68
Documentation/contributor/regressions.itexi:68: the current release and
the prior release.  Each test that has
Somewhere... I think in the "releases" chapter... I noted that the
comparison only looks inside the bounding boxes within lilypond, so
errors due to ghostscript aren't found, nor are errors in lyrics+text.

I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, but it's probably adding a
@warning that not **all** of the changes will be shown.

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/3#newcode157
Documentation/contributor/regressions.itexi:157: The special regression
test @file{test-output-distance.ly} will always
Please put this paragraph inside a @warning.

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/4
File Documentation/included/compile.itexi (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/diff/1/4#newcode858
Documentation/included/compile.itexi:858:
Eh?  "make test" has nothing to do with installing lilypond, surely?

http://codereview.appspot.com/1545043/show