the four Meisters of the lilypocalypse

From: Graham Percival
Subject: the four Meisters of the lilypocalypse
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:23:38 +0100

As we all know, we've been losing bug reports.  We're expanding
the Bug Squad in an attempt to avoid this, but that creates other
organizational problems: somebody needs to train the new
volunteers, somebody needs to coordinate their activities, etc.

I'm thinking that we should have a Bug Meister, but unlike the
previous job of the same title, this person would *not* be
processing bugs himself -- instead, his job would be to train,
organize, and manage the Bug Squad.  (obviously the Bug Meister
would need to step in from time to time, but ideally the Bug
Meister would do no "real" work himself)

At the same time, we might as well standardize on the "Meister"
title -- a "Meister" will be somebody who organizes a team.  Thus,

* Bug Meister: trains new helpers, organizes who does what, has
  the final say on our policy for Issues, and checks to make sure
  everything is working.  If anybody has a problem or suggestion
  for the way that the Bug Squad is functioning (or not), take it up
  with the Bug Meister and let him deal with it.

  This is currently me, but I don't want to do it.  I can think of
  a few candidates who could take it over immediately.

* Doc Meister: trains new editors/writers, organizes who does
  what, has final say over doc policy, checks to make sure
  everything is working.

  This is currently me, but I don't want to do it.  I can think of
  a few people who might take it over in a few months, but nobody
  in the near future.

* Translation Meister: trains new translators, organizes who does
  what (if necessary?), and handles merging branches.  When
  the translators add a new file and don't add it to GNUmakefile,
  I get to yell at this person.

  This used to be John, but I believe that we don't have a
  dedicated, specified person for it now.  I've seen Francisco
  doing the merging often, but IIRC I've seen a few other people
  as well.  I think we should make Francisco the official
  Translation Meister

* Frog Meister: is responsible for code patches from (relatively)
  inexperienced contributors.  Keep track of them, do initial
  reviewing of those patches, send them on to the general -devel
  community, pester said community into actually reviewing the
  patch(es), and finally pushing the patch once it's accepted.

  Unlike the other Meisters, the Frog Meister is not responsible
  for training new volunteers in how to do their job (i.e.
  program); that would be far too much of a burden.

  I think that Carl has been doing a fantastic job and there's
  no reason to change anything, but if he wants a break, I can
  think of a few candidates who could do this immediately.

I don't think we need, or that people would accept, a Meister for
patches from experienced developers.  If you want to propose this,
or start some kind of discussion along those lines, please wait a
week -- I want to get a stable, functioning Bug Squad, so that I
can put the finishing technical touches on the new website and
finally get it switched over.