Re: 100+ warnings and some cosmetics along the way (issue1724041)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: 100+ warnings and some cosmetics along the way (issue1724041)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:01:28 -0300

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Op donderdag 17-06-2010 om 00:41 uur [tijdzone -0300], schreef Han-Wen
> Nienhuys:
>
>> > * Why are all the casts there?
>
> casts are mostly bad and often indication that something is wrong.
>
>>  It is probably an easier fix to change vsize to be an int again.
>
> This may be easiest fix and probably wrong.  The vsize fix was
> chosen to identify problem areas and work to be done: it was an
> easy way of saying:we moved from flower arrays to std::vector,
> change to size_t or something as appropriate.
>
> Possibly I'm rambling and it's more useful to discuss actual
> code than ideas.  Are we thinking of using INTs for vector
> sizes as in the code below?  If so, why would that work?

What use-case can you possibly have for a vector of size INT_MAX or
more? Try filling that vector and watch your machine trash to death.

The only type that would fit the address space is a byte, and I see
little value in working with a 2Gb character vector in LilyPond.