Re: google analytics and .htaccess

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: google analytics and .htaccess
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 16:01:19 +0200

Op zondag 27-06-2010 om 14:18 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
Percival:

> 1)  it would be nice if google analytics could tell us info about
> how people use the new website.  This may require tweaking
> something, setting some options somewhere, or whatever.
> I know nothing about analytics, so I don't even know what I don't
> know.  That makes me nervous.  Also, I don't have the time to
> spend hours reading through their docs.  So it would be really
> nice if I could work with somebody who knows what they're doing
> about this.

Well, we're down from place #6 to #19 in Google if you search
for "music notation", in about 1.5 years.  I'd say, switch now,
worry later.  Disclaimer: sun is shining here, worrying takes
effort today.

> 2)  the actual switch would -- I think -- just consist of changing
> a few lines in the .htaccess to point to /website/ intead of
> /web/.  Again, I know nothing about .htaccess, so I don't even
> know what I don't know, so working with somebody with a clue would
> avoid a delay of a few hours and get it up there sooner, etc.

Yes, that's pretty much it.  We could add a link to the "old"
site?  Let's pick a time and meet on irc?  Tonight around 9?

> I'm going to be away from Glasgow for a large chunk July.  I'll
> still have email, but limited time and no lilypond-compilable-able
> computers.  So if we don't get the new website up in the next two
> weeks, it won't happen until August.

:-)

Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyOfSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl