Re: google analytics and .htaccess

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: google analytics and .htaccess
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:49:48 -0300

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> I also have a goals defined (a click on the download link), and there
>> is a view that shows you through which path people reach the goal.
>
> I noticed some javascript code on the old webpage about a goal.
> Relevant questions are:
> - do we want to bother with this for the new website?

up to you - with a goal, you can more easily track how people decide
to (not) do a goal.

Generally, goals are attached to actions: downloading something,
registering, buying, etc.

http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55515

> - if so, is this a "release-critical" goal before the new website
>  goes live, or something we can add 3 months later?
> - can goals only be reached by clicking on a link on a page, or
>  can they be reached just by arriving at a page?

Yes, it is even more common: typically, the goal is put on the "Thank
you for buying X" page that concludes a ecommerce transaction.

I think you need to put the .js snippet in the <script> section of the
page somewhere.  Reading a page is not that interesting if it is not
accompanied by a real action though.

> - who's going to write the patch to add it to our build system?
>  do we dump it in script/build/website_post.py, or work it into
>  the texinfo init file, or use a manual "@address@hidden html" in
>  the doc source, or add the raw html to our doc macros, or...?

It should be done on a lilypond.org specific part of the build. You
should not install the analytics on pages that other people put up in
other places.

> - what are the goals?  off the top of my head, I'd say "text
>  input", "download stable", "help us", and "download unstable".
>  Are those reasonable?  too many?  too few?  etc.

Id put them on the download links.  Perhaps if you have forms for
sending mail, they may be an interesting target too.